Monday, July 7, 2014

Classic 133 Incident

Breaking news from Giant 133 Model-maker George Maiorana!

Does this bring back more memories or what???

Hi Guys,

Well it's been a traumatic week here. I was running up the C-133 to full power and checking static thrust (19.5 lbs) when #3 threw a blade. The resulting instant vibration tore the motor off the fire wall and took a chunk out of the cowl. It was a moment that I reflected upon for an hour or so.  The good part of the problem is that the blade went into the garage about 30 feet and not thru the fuse or me. Had to count my blessings. Another blessing is that it happened here and not in the air (total disaster if it had occured in the air).

I took all 6 of my props and did a complete mod B to them. Yesterday I ran all 6 props in a "bunkered" test stand for 4 minutes at WOT. All survived. The motor mount and cowl are repaired and I just came in from running up the plane teathered to a fence. What an awesome sound.  No problems!  So I'll begin getting all my ground support equipment sorted out ready for the trip to the AMA NATS.

The "plan" is for me to arrive at the site Thursday afternoon (July 10th) and set the plane up ready for the maiden. My pilot, Dave along with his wife Vicki, plans to be at the site Thursday afternoon around 6 PM and take her up. If he gets there early enough and all goes well we may be able to get a second flight in.  Friday we will get the plane static judged and fly some more.  Contest is Saturday and Sunday with two judged flights each day.

Here is a link to the AMA NATS news and you can keep track what is going on during the contest.     http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/nats/natsnews.aspx

Cross your fingers :-)

George



No comments: